1.1 Answer these questions.
1 How healthy are you? A very healthy 8 moderately healthy C unhealthy?
2 Tick the appropriate column below to show how often you eat the different foods.
1.2 Complete the gaps in the text below using words from the box.
How to improve your diet
- Make sure that you eat a (1) _______ of foods. It is important to eat from all five food groups.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. These contain vital (2) _______ and leading dietitians recommend eating at least two (3) _______ of fruit and three of vegetables every day.
- Try to (4) _______ a healthy weight. Being too thin can cause as many health problems as being (5) _______. Remember, the correct weight for you depends on many different (6) _______ including your age, height and sex.
- Eat moderate portions and don’t be tempted to order a larger size when eating out. Skipping meals can lead to (7) _______ as you will be much hungrier later, so be sure to eat regularly if you want to curb your appetite.
- You don’t need to eliminate all of your favourite foods but do check the (8) _______ on food labels and make sure that you reduce your intake of foods that are high in fats, sugar and salt.
- If you have a food allergy, make sure you avoid any of the ingredients that can trigger an attack.
1.3 Match these words and phrases with words from the advice in 1.2.
1. very important …
2. food scientists …
3. neither small nor large …
5. missing out on …
6. limit …
7. desire to eat …
8. totally remove …
9. a condition that causes illness if you eat certain foods …
10. activate …
Health and exercise
2.1 You will hear part of a health talk. Listen and complete the summary below. Write NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS.
The heart is a (1) _______ A diet high in (2) _______ can slow down the (3) _______and lead to heart problems. A heart attack is caused when an artery that (4) _______ to the heart becomes (5) _______. Patients must be given (6) _______ immediately. A stroke is caused when there is a blockage in an artery that leads to the (7) _______ A stroke can have a major effect on your body and as yet there is no (8) _______ A healthy diet will keep your arteries (9) _______ and can lower the (10) _______ of a stroke or heart attack.
2.2 Now listen to part 2 of the talk and answer the questions.
1. Write down three types of aerobic exercise that are mentioned: …
2. Listen again and find words that mean the same as the following:
3. WORD BUILDING Complete the table below. You do not need to write anything in the shaded areas. Write the opposites where indicated (opp.).
4.1 PRONUNCIATION Put the words into the correct box according to their sound, then practise saying the words. Listen and check your answers.
bath, bathe, birth, breath, breathe, death, growth, health, mouth (v), mouth (n), teeth, teethe, writhe
4.2 Complete the sentences with words from 4.1. Then listen to the recording to check your answers. Practise saying the sentences.
1. I took a deep _______ before diving into the water.
2. The baby is crying because he’s _______. He got two new _______ only yesterday.
3. Old people should take care of their _______ .
4. He’s been so happy since the _______ of his son.
5. The pain was so bad she was _______ in agony.
6. He can’t _______ .You need to get him to hospital.
5. Improve this essay by replacing the words in italics with ONE OR TWO words from this unit.
In the future we won’t have to worry about what we eat. We’ll just take a tablet to give us all that our body needs and cooking will become a thing of the past.
In our modern world we often look for quick solutions to our problems. We expect to be able to achieve a great deal with little effort. But I don’t believe we can apply this notion to our diet and still remain healthy. Preparing a healthy meal can take a lot of time. First you need to have fresh ingredients. Pre-packaged foods can contain a lot of unhealthy additives and so they are not as (1)good for your body as fresh food. You also need to make sure to include a (2)lot of different foods to make sure that you receive all of the vitamins and minerals that are (3)very, very important to a healthy diet. It is not surprising then that some people want to find a simple solution to this in the form of a pill. Fast foods are very high in fat, sugar and salt and so we should eat them in small amounts. For some people, however, these foods have become their staple diet and as a result they are (4)fat. If we want to (5)stop this from becoming an even bigger problem in the future then we need to address this situation now. While vitamin tablets may be of some benefit, they are unlikely to be effective in the fight against (6)people getting too fat.
Health authorities need to increase public awareness of these issues, but we also need to be realistic. Fast food is popular not only because it is convenient but also because it is tasty. Perhaps we should (7)strongly advise that people who eat fast food every day should at least (8)swap fast food with fresh food on every second day. Finally, we eat for pleasure as well as nutrition and for this reason I believe that pills will never replace well-cooked food.
1. nutritious 2._______
3._______ 4. _______
5. _______ 6. _______
7. _______ 8. _______
6. Answer the questions. Write one or two sentences.
1. Do you think young people are more or less fit than 50 years ago? (Why? / Why not?)
2. In what way is your diet different from when you were a young child?
3. What changes do you think will occur in our diet in the future?
1 variety 2 nutrients 3 servings 4 maintain 5 overweight 6 factors 7 overeating 8 ingredients
1 vital 2 dietitians 3 moderate 4 portions 5 skipping 6 curb 7 appetite 8 eliminate 9 allergy 10 trigger
1 muscle 2 fat 3 blood flow 4 carries blood 5 blocked 6 treatment 7 brain 8 cure 9 clear 10 risk
1 (any three) walking, jogging, running, swimming, cycling
2 B briskly C gradually D recommendation E pace F overdoing G recover H alternate
1 breath 2 teething; teeth 3 health 4 birth 5 writhing 6 breathe
2 variety of 3 vital 4 overweight 5 prevent 6 obesity 7 recommend 8 alternate
6 Model answer
1. I think in some ways we are less fit than 50 years ago because obesity was less of a problem then. But we’re also healthier in that we are more aware of the risks of smoking. Although exercise has become more popular, fewer children participate in sports than 50 years ago because now they spend too much time playing computer games, which weren’t around 50 years ago.
2. When I was young my mum cooked all of our meals and she would spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Now that I live by myself I find I’m too busy to cook or shop for food, so I tend to eat too much junk food nowadays.
3. I hope that they will stop making food with so many additives in and that fast food will become a lot healthier. I also think there will be more variety in fast food.
Leave a Reply